National Academy of Medicine Nurse Scholar-in-Residence
The National Academy of Medicine (NAM)’s Distinguished Nurse Scholar-in-Residence program provides a year-long residential leadership opportunity in health policy in Washington, DC. Designed for mid-career professionals, this immersion experience supports engagement of nurse leaders in a prominent role in health policy at the national level and facilitates their interaction with other health fellows and scholars. The American Academy of Nursing (Academy), the American Nurses Association (ANA), and the American Nurses Foundation (the Foundation), in partnership with NAM, support this program. The program seeks individuals who have the capacity and skills to generate policy for issues of special interest and the ability to promote greater public understanding. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Click here for the 2020-2021 Call for Applications. The application deadline is January 13, 2020.
View the informational flyer.
Applicants must submit the following documents electronically to the American Academy of Nursing: please carefully review the call for applications prior to submitting your application.
- A proposal (no more than five pages) describing how the applicant’s expertise and background dovetails with NAM initiatives, as well as Academy, ANA, or Foundation priorities.
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Résumé not to exceed ten pages.
- A cover letter which should include (no more than two pages):
- Information that complements the CV about the applicant’s interdisciplinary experiences, policy interests, and ability to complete the project.
- A statement of proposed full-time commitment to the program.
- The names and addresses, including e-mail addresses, of two individuals who can speak to the applicant’s previous achievements, interdisciplinary and policy experiences, and ability to complete the project.
Submission Process: Complete applications should be sent electronically to the American Academy of Nursing by 5 pm ET on January 13, 2020, to Sonya Desai, Policy Assistant, at sdesai@AANnet.org. Please put "NAM Distinguished Nurse Scholar Application" in the subject line.
Nurse Scholars through the Years:
- 2019 - Allison Squires, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2018 - Lori Trego, PhD, CNM, FAAN
- 2017 - Tener Veenema, PhD, MPH, MS, RN, FAAN
- 2015 - Suzanne Bakken, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2014 - Sally S. Cohen, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2013 - Beatrice J. Kalisch, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2012 - Marla E. Salmon, ScD, RN, FAAN
- 2010 - Pamela F. Cipriano, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
- 2009 - Julie A. Fairman, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2008 - Mary E. Evans, RN, PhD, FAAN
- 2007 - Carolyn Williams, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2006 - Ada Sue Hinshaw, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2005 - Jacquelyn C. Campbell, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2004 - Veronica D. Feeg, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2003 - Angela Barron McBride, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2002 - Bonnie M. Jennings, DNSc, RN, FAAN
- 1998 - Nancy Reame, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1997 - Sandra Ferketich PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1996 - Joyce J. Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN
- 1995 - Connie Curran, EdD, RN, FAAN