The Academy recognizes a small group of individuals as Honorary Fellows, in honor of their extraordinary contributions to nursing and healthcare. These invitations to fellowship are conferred by the Board of Directors, consistent with the Academy Bylaws, to worthy applicants who would not qualify for membership as a Regular Fellow. Their privileges and responsibilities are detailed in the Academy Bylaws.
- An applicant for Honorary Fellow is not eligible for membership as a regular Fellow (i.e., not a nurse*);
- S/he must be sponsored by three (3) Regular or Emeritus Fellows in good standing;
- The applicant must consent to be nominated;
- Applications must be submitted online by the deadline announced by the Board; and
- Applications should address the following:
a. Describe the extraordinary and sustained contribution of the applicant to nursing and health care; and
b. Provide evidence of the positive and ongoing impact of the work in influencing nursing and health care.
*"Not a nurse" means that the applicant is not currently licensed, and has not previously been licensed, to practice as a registered nurse.
Honorary Fellows receive all benefits of Fellowship in the Academy but do not pay dues. These benefits include the following honors:
- Use of the FAAN credential
- Receive notice of the annual meeting
- Listed in the directory of Fellows
- Have access to the Fellow directory
- Receive the official publication of the Academy
Board members will be asked to score the application on two factors, rated 1-5:
- Demonstrated extraordinary and sustained contributions to nursing and health care throughout their career;
- Clear evidence of the positive impact of their previously described work in influencing nursing and health care.
Following staff verification that the discrete criteria for eligibility have been met (i.e., established good standing and eligibility of participating sponsors and candidate) the Board selects Honorary Fellows by evaluating the applicants against the stated criteria. Generally, a group of not more than 3-4 Honorary Fellows will be selected each year for this honor. An applicant for Honorary Fellowship status who is not selected in one year may apply again in succeeding years.
Fellows may sponsor a total of two Fellows, in a combination of regular and/or Honorary Fellow candidates.
A complete application packet should contain:
- Completed sponsor statements from THREE sponsors knowledgeable of the applicant's extraordinary and sustained contributions to nursing and health throughout their career.
- Material evidence of positive impact such as publications. (two-item limit; no portfolios.)
- If chosen, sponsors of awardees agree to provide a biographical statement (500 words) and an electronic photo of the honoree to serve as a summary of the honorees' contributions to nursing and healthcare for inclusion in the October Policy Conference Commemorative Program.
How to Submit an Application Packet:
The 2020 PDF application can be downloaded here. Submissions are due by May 15th.