Excellence in Media Award
Past Academy Media Award Winners
The American Academy of Nursing's Excellence in Media Award recognizes exemplary journalism that reports on health or health care with accurate and appropriate inclusion of nurses’ contributions or perspectives.
Eligible individuals are working journalists (not nurses) representing media organizations such as newspapers, radio, television, magazines, online sources of public information (including blogs), and other media (including documentary films) that target a public audience. Entries may include investigative reporting stories, breaking news, shorts, single stories, series, documentaries, and other media approaches. Nursing-specific media are not eligible.
The impact of the work can be local, regional, national, or international but an estimated number of impressions or people reached must be included, along with any other impact of the work (e.g., reader response or change in a policy). Entries can be submitted by the journalist or team responsible for the entry, an Academy fellow who is familiar with the entry, or other interested parties.
The media awards committee will review entries and select the awardee. The primary or lead journalist awardee will receive a $1,500 cash prize (or have a charitable donation made in awardee’s honor). The primary awardee will be expected to attend the Academy's annual conference, where the award will be presented. Travel and lodging expenses will be reimbursed for the primary awardee.
The committee also has the authority to select up to three honorable mentions. These awardees will receive a certificate. There is no travel, lodging, or cash prize for honorable mentions.
Submit an Excellence in Media Award Nomination
(Scroll to the bottom of this page for instructions on how to get started.)
- The nomination was first published between June 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017.
- The nomination was created by a working journalist.
- The target audience for the media piece was the public at large.
- Nurses, their perspectives, and nursing are presented accurately and without stereotyping.
- Nurses are sources for the media piece when appropriate.
- Nurses are identified as such in the story and in photos.
- The story reports on the topic with depth and accuracy.
- Standards of ethical journalism are followed.
- Payment of a one-time entry fee of $50.
- See examples of past winners above.
**All entries must be submitted by August 1, 2017.**
Citation & Description of Entry
Applicants will be required to provide the following information:
Citation of entry:
- Nomination (Media Outlet)
- Title of Entry
- Full Citation of Entry
- Author(s) and producer(s) of the entry (include the team responsible for production of the work, not just the lead journalist)
- Type of Medium (newspaper, television, radio, news site, news blog, podcast, etc.)
- Target Audience (characteristics and size)
Description of entry:
- Provide a description of the entry.
- Why this entry meets the criteria for the Academy's Excellence in Media Award.
- What has been the effect of this entry?
Copy of Entry
Entries must include a completed entry form and copies of the work:
- Submissions may be digitally uploaded during the submission process
Or, hard copies may be mailed to the Academy (though digital is preferred).
- Newspaper entries: Two tear sheets or full-page photocopies of entry and one DVD/CD/USB drive with PDF of entry.
- Magazine entries: Two copies (or originals) of the article or series and one DVD/CD/USB drive with PDF of entry.
- Websites and online-only publications: Live URL address and one DVD/CD/USB drive with PDF of entry.
- Radio: two DVD/CD/USB drive of entry in mp3 format.
- Television, film and video: two DVD/CD/USB drive of entry.
- Multimedia: two DVD/CD/USB drive of entry.
Hard copies of the work must be postmarked no later than August 1, 2017.
Excellence in Media Award
American Academy of Nursing
1000 Vermont Avenue, NW, Suite 910
Washington, DC 20005
Get Started by Completing the Online Entry Form! Login to your Academy account here. Once logged in, select “Create a 2017 Media Award Entry” under the Awards section of your profile page. (New users will need to create an account here.)
Nominators will be notified by September 1, 2017 regarding whether their nominee was selected for the award.
For questions or more information, contact the Academy.