- A Living Legend must have been a Fellow for at least 15 years and currently be a Fellow in good standing.
- S/he must be sponsored by three (3) Regular or Emeritus Fellows in good standing.
- A sponsor may only nominate one applicant as a Living Legend per year.
- The nominee must consent to be nominated.
- Nominations must be submitted by the deadline announced by the board.
- Nominations should address the following:
a. Describe the extraordinary and sustained contribution of the nominee as a role model and contributor to nursing history;
b. Describe the positive and ongoing impact of the work.
Board members will be asked to score the nomination on two factors, rated 1-5:
- Demonstrated extraordinary and sustained contributions to nursing as a role model and contributor to nursing history; and
- The positive impact of their previously described work in influencing nursing and health care.
Following staff verification that the discrete criteria for eligibility have been met (i.e., established good standing and eligibility of participating sponsors and candidate, length of fellow membership in the Academy) the Board selects Living Legends by evaluating the nominees against the stated criteria. Generally, a group of no more than 4-5 Fellows will be selected each year for this highest of Academy honors. A nominee for Living Legend status who is not selected in one year may be nominated again in succeeding years.
Nomination & Sponsorship Process:
The 2015 Living Legend Application Form will be available in March 2015 and the completed nomination form will be due May 8, 2015, to the Board of Directors, accompanied by THREE compelling support letters from Academy Fellows in good standing addressing the criteria for the Living Legend honor. Additional letters will not be accepted. A $400 nomination fee is required. No CV or bio is required.
Sponsor and Selected Living Legend Responsibilities:
- Sponsors of chosen honorees agree to attend the Academy's Annual Conference and recognition events for those Living Legends able to attend and act as their escorts/hosts.
- Sponsors agree to provide a biographical statement (500 words) and electronic photo of honoree to serve as a summary of the honorees' contributions to nursing and health care for inclusion in the October annual conference program (see example).
- Living Legends will be introduced at the Living Legends ceremony, traditionally held the first night of the conference.
- A reception will be held after the ceremony for Fellows to co-mingle with attending honorees and their sponsors.
- Honorees will be presented with a recognition gift from the Academy.
- Registration fees for the annual meeting at which the honoree is being recognized will be complimentary for the Honoree.
- Honorees will no longer be required to pay annual dues and will be moved to "Living Legend" status in the Academy database. The honoree will have lifetime benefits of fellowship in the Academy.
- Attendance at the Annual Meeting is not required to be honored as a Living Legend.
How to Submit a Nomination Packet:
All materials should be submitted electronically to jocelyn_cunic@AANnet.org. Submissions are due by May 8, 2015.