|June 30, 2014
|Last week, the 2014 class of fellows was announced. The Academy will induct 168 nurse leaders into the fellowship at the 2014 Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference in October. See the full roster.
Voting is now open for the 2014 Academy elections. Current fellows in good standing have through Friday, August 15, to submit their electronic ballot to elect fellows for volunteer leadership positions. Honorary fellows and new fellow inductees are not eligible to vote in this election. Review the candidates and vote
|The Academy offices will be closed July 4. We wish everyone a fun and safe holiday.
Acting secretary of Veterans Affairs Sloan Gibson today convened a panel to recommend the next under secretary for Health for the Veterans Health Administration. Of the nine members, two are fellows: Lt. General Patricia Horoho, MSN, MS, RN, FAAN, and Major General (ret.) Nancy Adams, MSN, BSN, RN, FAAN
Sally S. Cohen, PhD, RN, FAAN, is the 2014–2015 Distinguished Nurse Scholar-in-Residence at the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the National Academies. Dr. Cohen will influence health policies effecting bullying.
|Brenda Cleary, PhD, RN, FAAN, recently won a 3-way primary, bringing in over 70% of the vote across nine counties to become the Democratic candidate for the US House of Representative in North Carolina congressional district 13. She will now face George Holding (R) in the general election.
The National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR) announced the appointment of three new members to the National Advisory Council for Nursing Research (NACNR), which two are fellows: Nancy Redeker, PhD, RN, and Meredeth A. Rowe, PhD, RN.
Pamela Cipriano, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN, was elected president of the American Nurses Association
Margaret Barton-Burke, PhD, RN, FAAN, took office as president of the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS)
John Daly,PhD, RN, FACN, FAAN, has been appointed editor in chief of Journal of Nursing Management
National League for Nursing named Judith A. Halstead, PhD, RN, FAAN, ANEF, as executive director of its new accreditation division.
H. Michael Dreher, PhD, RN, FAAN, become dean of the School of Nursing at the College of New Rochelle this earlier this month.
Chandice Covington, PhD, RN, PNP-BC, FAAN, was named dean of the Kaplan University School of Nursing.
Patricia G. Morton, PhD, RN, was named dean of the University of Utah School of Nursing.
Meredith Wallace Kazer, Ph.D., APRN, FAAN, has been appointed to a two-year term as dean of the Fairfield University's School of Nursing.
Linda Sarna, PhD, RN, FAAN, has been appointed acting dean of the UCLA School of Nursing as of July 1, 2014. She will serve a one-year term while dean Courtney Lyder, ND, ScD(Hon), is on leave.
Michael Weaver, PhD, RN, FAAN, has been named interim dean of the Indiana University School of Nursing, effective August 1.
Carrie B. Lenburg, RN, EdD, FAAN, ANEF, and Loretta C. Ford, RN, PNP, EdD, FAAN, FAANP, both were honored with American Association of Critical-Care Nurses’s Pioneering Spirit Award. Both have been recognized as Academy Living Legends.
Afaf Ibrahim Meleis, PhD, DrPS(hon.), FAAN, FRCN, received UPenn’s Claire M. Fagin Distinguished Researcher Award
Rhonda Anderson, DNS, RN, FACHE, FAAN, received the American Hospital Association’s 2014 Award of Honor.
Anita Nirenberg, PhD, RN, FAAN, AOCNP, received the Lifetime Achievement Award, and Susan C. McMillan, PhD, ARNP, FAAN, received the Distinguished Researcher Award at ONS’s annual congress.
Barbara Drew, PhD, RN, FAAN, was just selected as the 2014 Distinguished Scientist by American Heart Association. This is the first time that a nurse scientist has been selected and of the six nominees selected this year, Dr. Drew is the only nurse and woman.
The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses has announced the recipients for our latest round of annual research grants, and they each happen to be fellows of the Academy. More information on their research is linked: Norma Metheny, PhD MSN RN FAAN; Ruth Kleinpell, PhD, RN, FAAN (current Academy board member); and Carol Pavlish, PhD, RN, FAAN.
Angela McBride, PhD, RN, FAAN, received an honorary doctor of science degree from Indiana University for overseeing unprecedented growth and development of nursing programs at the university. Dr. McBride is a 2006 Living Legend and a former Academy president.
Col. Marla De Jong received the University of Maryland School of Nursing 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award.
Jill Bormann, PhD, RN, FAAN, received the Psychiatric Nurse of the Year Award for Advanced Practice Nursing from the San Diego Society of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurses, and she also received Jo Anne Powell Award for Excellence in Nursing Research from the American Nurses Association/California.
Both the Ohio State University and Indiana University Schools of Nursing are celebrating their centennials this year. As part of their celebrations they are recognizing 100 outstanding alumni. Many of who are fellows:
- Karen Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN,
- Linda Amos, EdD, RN, FAAN
- Ann Cain, PhD, RN, CNS-PMH, FAAN,
- Jeanne Novotny, PhD, RN, FAAN,
- Kathy Peppe, RN, MS, FAAN
- Pamela Dickerson, PhD, RN-BC, FAAN
- Pat Donahue, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Nancy Reynolds, PhD, RN, C-NP, FAAN
- Marilyn Rothert, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Ellen Rudy, PhD, RN, FAAN,
- Nancy Ryan-Wenger, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
- Joyce Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, FAAN, FNAP
- Pam Salsberry, PhD, FAAN,
- Janet Fulton, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, FAAN
- Cheryl Schmidt, PhD, RN, CNE, ANEF, FAAN
- Barbara Given, PhD, FAAN,
- Davina Gosnell, RN, PhD, FAAN
- Ethelrine Shaw-Nickerson, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Mary Lou Sole, FAAN, FCCM
- Lynn Sommers, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Colleen Keller, PhD, RN-C, FNP, FAHA, FNAP, APRN, FAAN
- Kathy Stone, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Jill Kilanowski, PhD, APRN, CPNP, FAAN
- Gayle Timmerman, PhD, RN, CNS, FAAN
- Toni Tripp-Reimer, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Fran Vlasses, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, ANEF, FAAN
- Barbara Warren, PhD, RN, CNS-BC, PMH, FAAN
- Ada Lindsey, PhD, FAAN
- Marie Lobo, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Clarann Weinert, SC, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Elizabeth Madigan, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Patricia Yoder-Wise, EdD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN, ANE
- Margaret H. Applegate, RN, BSN, MSNEd, EdD, FAAN
- Joan K. Austin, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Hattie M. Bessent, EdD, MSN, RN, FAAN
- Marjorie M. Beyers, RN, PhD, FAAN
- Jo Ann Brooks, PhD, RN, CMQ, FAAN, FCCP
- Jeanette G. Chamberlain, EdD, RN, FAAN
- Victoria Lee Champion, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Brenda Lewis Cleary, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Ruth E. Davidhizar, PhD, RN, APRN, BC, FAAN
- Patricia R. Ebright, PhD, RN, CNS, FAAN
- Judith A. Halstead, PhD, RN, ANEF, FAAN
- Nancy C. Sharts-Hopko, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Pamela R. Jeffries, PhD, RN, FAAN, ANEF
- Dorothy A. Jones, RNC, EdD, FAAN, FNI
- Carole Ann Kenner, RNC, NNP, PhD, FAAN
- Jane Marie Kirschling, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Karren Ellen Kowalski, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, ANEF, FAAN
- M. Cynthia Logsdon, PhD, WHNP-BC, FAAN
- Sally Lechlitner Lusk, PhD, RN, FAAN, FAAOHN
- Brenda L. Lyon, PhD, CNS, FAAN
- Margaret Scisney-Matlock, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Anna M. McDaniel, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Usha Menon, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Linda Moneyham, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Susan J. Pressler, PhD, FAAN, FAHA
- F. Patrick Robinson, PhD, RN, ACRN, CNE, FAAN
- Kathleen J. Sawin, PhD, RN, CPNP-PC, FAAN
- Maria R. Shirey, PhD, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, FACHE, FAAN
- Lillian Gatlin Stokes, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Susan Noble Walker, MS, EdD, RN, FAAN
- Lorraine O. Walker, RN, EdD, MPH, FAAN
- Nell Watts, MSN, RN, FAAN
- Diana J. Weaver, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Gail A. Wolf, RN, PhD, FAAN
Ursula Springer, PhD, FAAN, owner and president of Springer Publishing Company from 1970–2004, died peacefully in March near her home in Tuxedo, NY. Dr. Springer was inducted as an honorary fellow in 2002. Learn more about her influential life
Phyllis N. Stern, DNS, RN, FAAN, professor emeritus at Indiana University School of Nursing, died May 4. She was inducted into the fellowship in 1981 and was named a Living Legend in 2008. Read more about her contributions to the profession.
American Academy of Nursing
email@example.com | www.AANnet.org | 202-777-1170